Ken Gottry - Cambridge NY History

In their September 4, 2013 meeting, the Cambridge Village Board announced that the Ackley Building (Legrys Buildings to old-timers) cannot be repaired and must be demolished. This leaves 3 of the original 6 buildings to celebrate their 130th anniversary next year.

Ackley Building 1890s Arrow      Ackley Building Sep2013 Arrow

 

(single click on featured image above to enlarge. Then press ESC to return to the article)

 

South Side of West End Loses Another Building

The beautiful buildings on the West End have gone through many transformations, some due to fire, some due to decay, and some in the name of progress. Soon we will lose another.

image001

An 1866 fire ruined much of the north and side sides of the streets. This, and a fire on the East Main between Park and Division, helped pushed the West End and East End to unite into the Village of Cambridge with the hope of creating a single fire department.

Ackley Hall was a beautiful 3-story building about where John Patterson recently opened his law office in the old Imhoff building. As Mark Twain prepared for his lecture in Ackley Hall in January 1870, a small fire broke out on stage. In December 1884, a fire destroyed most buildings on both sides of the street. The New York Times reported the impact of the fire on our little village.

Most photos and postcards of the south side of the West End, such as the one shown here, are from after the 1884 fire. These stores have housed many drugs stores and clothing stores. In fact, old postcards and maps show McWhorters clothing store having been in at least 3 of the 6 buildings. Below is a list of some of the occupants of the buildings

image002

A)  Carpenter Building; Skellie Clothing; McWhorter Clothing; McWhorter's Frozen Food Locker Plant; Russo Ristorante; China King
B)  Baker's Pharmacy; J.M.McWhorter Dry Goods & Shoes; Shapiros; Lauderette; Fedlers; Curves
C)  Millinery shop; West End Pharmacy; Cooper's Pharmacy; Imhoff Law Office
D)  Legrys Cigars, Tobacco, Jewelry; Francis Ackley
E)  Qua Dry Goods; McWhorters Dry Goods
F)  Watkins; Tin Shop; Fire House

In its September 4, 2013 meeting, the Cambridge Village Board announced that the Ackley Building (Legrys Buildings to old-timers) cannot be repaired and must be demolished. This leaves 3 of the original 6 buildings to celebrate their 130th anniversary next year.

image003